Will Lukang, PMP, CSM, MASCL, CLDC
I’ll start by saying, “Welcome 2013! A year of opportunity for us to make our dream a reality.” Ushering in a New Year reminds me of Oprah Winfrey’s quote, “Cheers to a New Year and another chance for us to get it right.” It is akin to turning a page in our book of life and starting a new chapter, which is a blank canvas for us to draw whatever we want.
One of my favorite things to do as I end a year and start a new one is to review my plan and make adjustments that help me position myself as I ring in the New Year. By doing so, I can start the year right and focus on the things that are important to me and my family.
Here are a few things that can help you begin your year:
1) Take a risk – I urge you to take a chance, a calculated risk that is. Work outside your comfort zone and expand your horizon.
2) Plan – Prepare a career plan and track your progress. This way, you know where you’re heading.
3) Coach – Find a coach to help you grow and develop. If professional athletes have coaches to observe and provide feedback to help them improve their game, why don’t we have a coach at work? Seek a coach to observe you work and helping you improve our skills. This way you’ll continue to develop your skills.
4) Believe in continuous learning – The day you stop learning, you’ll be left behind by everyone else. It is important to continue to learning new things and increase your capabilities.
5) Network and collaborate – I believe in the saying that no man is an island. I encourage you to network and connect with others. Find a common interest and collaborate to develop new things; by doing this, you’ll expand your horizon.
6) When in doubt ask questions – Early on in my career, I paid the price for assuming things. In the end, certain mistakes took a long time for me to recover from. I advise that you ask questions and avoid the headache altogether.
7) Lastly, do something nice for someone. The random act of kindness can make someone’s day or help someone overcome some challenges. If we share our knowledge and experience, we can make this world a better place.
I’ll end this blog post by sharing a poem by William Arthur Ward.
Another fresh new year is here
Another year to live
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!
This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!
I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!
Embrace the gift of a brand new day. Face it with enthusiasm and make the most of it. Remember that the choice is yours – to be happy or to be sad. Happy New Year to everyone! May the New Year bring good health and prosperity to you and your family.