With the ever-changing financial landscape and advancement in technology, we have less time for ourselves because we are constantly connected. Our employers are faced with the challenge of doing more with less and that translates to either longer work hours for their employees or finding more effective and efficient ways of getting things done.
One thing is certain: the days in which we have abundance of funding are gone. Fiscal responsibility is front and center focus and the need to do more with less is being used as a competitive advantage. Unfortunately, at times the laser-like focus on the bottom line shifts the need to think longer term to short term, thus missing some critical points. Hence the outcome is not always pleasant.
Amidst all the above challenges, is happiness attainable? Here are some of my suggestions:
- Focus on your dream – Your dream serves as an inspiration to keep you going. By keeping it front and center, you’ll be able to keep things in perspective. More importantly you’ll be able to prioritize things that come your way. Remember the big rocks (see my prior post on it) in your life. During challenging times, it helps to keep our dream in mind, because it will enable us to buckle down and dig deep.
- Make other people happy – When we add value to other people, it also helps lighten our mood. It does not take much to do this. Showing appreciation, gratitude, and being there for others are simple ways that have lasting impact. For people who are managers, seek to understand your people. Understand what they seek to achieve in their work. Work with them to accomplish their personal goals. Remember that a happy employee will ultimately benefit your customers.
- Always strive to do your best – This is very important. It does not matter how smart you are; if you don’t apply yourself, you will not reach your full potential. The key to doing your best is not perfection. It is the effort, commitment and dedication. Sometimes your best does not yield great results, but as long as you strive to be your best you can live with the outcome. More importantly, the progress you’ve made will keep you focused on moving forward until you achieve your goal.
- Take care of yourself – Your body is your temple. No matter how much money you acquire, if you don’t have your health, nothing else matter. Because all the money you earned will be used to pay for healthcare costs. So take the time to take care of your body. This is my biggest challenge. As I want to achieve many things in life, I often sacrifice sleep. I’m fortunate that I’m still healthy, but I know that I need to correct this pattern. . Akin to people taking medicine but continuing to eat greasy foods—if they slow down the intake of greasy foods, perhaps they would not need the medication altogether.
- Don’t do the same thing over and over – As it relates to progress, at times we do something the same way, but expect that the results will change. There is a saying that it is insanity to expect different results from doing the same thing. When you’re stuck, step back and evaluate your situation. Maybe you need to rethink your position. Evaluate and assess the situation and apply corrective actions; this way you can see the progress you’re expecting.
- Be yourself – I’d like to remind that you’re not obligated to live up to everyone‘s expectation. Being yourself will definitely lead you to being happy. Sometimes we live to meet other’s expectations. That makes us feel like we are being watched and not measuring up to their expectations.
- Life is not perfect – At times we want to make it better to the point that we obsess about it. By obsessing on it, we becomes rigid and lose our ability to adapt to change. More important, we lose the ability to have fun with what we are doing because we focus on the score and nothing else. Just like in basketball, sometimes your best players are the ones that do not score. Your best defender can shut down your opponent and give you the chance to score and win. I suggest, aspire to improve you each year, but don’t obsess and keep score to maintain your awareness and focus.
- Change is constant – Expect that change will happen all the time. The best way to succeed is to understand what’s in it for you. If you believe in the change, help facilitate the change. If you don’t buy in to the change, leave and walk away. Don’t stay if you don’t agree, because change will be done on your behalf and it is never good or pretty. Your ability to adapt to change is key to your success.
Remember that happiness is a state of mind. When we focus on the positive aspect of the situation, we do see opportunities amidst chaos. Negative emotion can consume and paralyze us to the point that we are oblivious to our surroundings. To be happy, we must understand our priorities in life and act on the things that come our way based on our priorities. There is no perfect situation and perfect time. What you have is the current situation to act and make decisions on based on what is important to you.
Everyone on this earth was given the same 24 hours. What’s different between a happy and sad person is their awareness and the choices they make. As Jim Rohn says, “The same wind blows on all of us. What matter is how we set our sail.” The sail in our life is our attitude. To be happy, we need to understand our priorities and make decisions as it aligns to our dream.
Writing is a labor of love. If you like my post, share it with others. If you disagree, share your perspective as I look forward to learn and grow each day.
“For some people, they live through life seeking happiness. Waiting for that day – the perfect moment. What they don’t realize is that happiness comes from within, it is also a choice. A choice to be happy with what you have and appreciate the things around you. Don’t wait another day to be happy. Count your blessing and be happy today. For tomorrow is not guaranteed and you’ll miss the opportunity to share that beautiful SMILE 🙂 that can brighten someone’s day and have a lasting effect in their life.”